OV's role in Victoria's Outdoors CommunityOV provides:
- Advocacy: influencing government planning and policy decisions; encouraging collaboration within the sector; and maintaining effective strategic relationships and alliances with relevant organisations
- Leadership: providing leadership across the sector by identifying key issues and taking action to ensure the wellbeing of the sector and its stakeholders
- Coordination: driving and supporting a coordinated and integrated approach to the development of the sector and its stakeholders
- Communication: promoting and publicising the benefits of outdoor activities to the community and public agencies; and ensuring members and interested parties are kept well informed about sector issues and initiatives
- Research: fielding research opportunities and commissioning research for the advancement of the sector.
The outdoors sector broadly encompasses four areas:
Engages students in practical and active learning experiences, typically in natural settings, for benefits to the person, the community and nature.
Provides active recreation and leisure pursuits in the outdoors.
Nature based tourism in Victoria:
Provides visitors with both passive and active experiences directly related to natural attractions and places.
Provides an active approach to nature-based therapy, to assist in personal development and increase personal health and wellbeing benefits